Hicksville Public Library
Hicksville did not have a public library until 1926. By that year, the need for one was strong, and a public meeting, initiated by Arthur Crossley and other civic-minded citizens, was held at the high school to establish a library and elect a Board of Trustees. The first Board of Trustees was composed of Dr. Bernard Webster, Chairman; Mrs. Charles Voight, Secretary and Treasurer; Mrs. A. Van Slyke, Miss Louise Augustin and Miss Emily Fippenger. The very first library board meeting was held on August 12, 1926.
The Hicksville Free Public Library was granted its provisional charter by the State of New York on December 31, 1926, and on March 16, 1927, the charter was received and accepted by the Board of Trustees. At that time, the sum of $1,219.97 was presented to the library by the Hicksville Musical Club (later the Choral Society) for the purchase of new books and equipment. The official opening of the library, then housed in a second floor classroom of the Nicholai Street School, was held on February 26, 1928.
Visit the Hicksville Public Library website
This collection contains photographs from the Hicksville Public Library's Digital Collection.